This is what I eat when a “sweet craving” springs upon me ! It’s a no guilt bite of real goodness.An egg free cake,enriched with millet flour.Which replaces white sugar with jaggery.This cake can be made vegan too.It keeps well and develops more flavor and moistness as days go by
I have baked it innumerable times, to gift to family and friends.I make it in large slabs,which I cut into smaller pieces,cling wrap and gift send.Its always appreciated and most can’t believe that it’s healthy too ! You can drizzle it with honey or have it plain as a breakfast staple or a make it a steady, nutritious choice in any lunch box.
These are the reasons why I call this cake a BITE OF GOODNESS
- Guilt free eating
- Satisfies sweet craving
- Packs nutrition
- Loaded with taste
- High content of calcium,iron and protein ( because of ragi and jaggery )
Here is the recipe…….Find VEGAN BANANA CAKE Recipe at the end
BITE OF GOODNESS–Ragi banana cake
100gms Ragi/Nachni flour
100gms Wholewheat flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
120 gms Banana pulp
150 gms curd,whisked
100 gms Butter,melted
150 gms grated Jaggery or Jaggery powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
20 gms almonds,chopped
50 gms raisins,chopped
- Grease and line a 8 x 8 inch baking tin.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- In a bowl mix butter,curd and bananas.Add jaggery and vanilla extract ,blend well till jaggery dissolves.
- Mix flours, cinnamon powder,nutmeg powder,baking soda and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Fold the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and blend for 30 seconds.Add almonds and raisins,mix well.
- Pour batter in tin and sprinkle flax seeds.Bake for 20/25 minutes till golden on top.
- Cool on a baking rack and wrap in cling film.
MANGO CARDAMOM CAKE
Replace banana pulp with fresh mango pulp.Omit vanilla essence,cinnamon and nutmeg powder.Add 1 1/2 tsp cardamom powder.
VEGAN RAGI BANANA CAKE
Replace curd with 100 ml coconut or soy milk.Instead of butter use 100 ml coconut oil.
If you cannot source Jaggery easily,it can be replaced with equal amount of coconut sugar or agave nectar.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW……
Ragi is finger millet, an unrefined cereal loaded with calcium,iron and protein.It is also rich in fibre and great for weight loss.
Jaggery is a healthy sweetener,that has unlimited benefits.Buy darker jaggery,which is high in mineral content.Good quality softer jaggery with no impurities is availible in cake,granular or powder form.Read about benefits of jaggery here
Choose selective or alternative eating habits……….start today !